WhatsApp has added the power for customers emigrate their chat historical past when switching from iOS to Samsung Android gadgets, the corporate stated in a weblog publish. Samsung announced the function was coming throughout its August Unpacked event, and addresses one of many extra irritating options — or lack of— of WhatsApp on cellular gadgets. Beforehand, if customers chosen WhatsApp’s cloud backup function, then iOS chat histories have been saved in iCloud, whereas Android’s histories backed as much as Google Drive, making it nearly not possible to switch chats between telephones that weren’t operating the identical working system.
There are a couple of caveats WhatsApp outlines in its weblog publish:
In case you’re shifting from an iPhone to a Samsung Android system, you’ll be able to switch your account info, profile picture, particular person chats, group chats, chat historical past, media and settings. You’ll be able to’t switch your name historical past or show identify
As well as, you’ll be able to solely do the migration throughout preliminary setup of your new Samsung system, because the directions from WhatsApp say that “your new Android system have to be manufacturing facility new or reset to manufacturing facility settings” to permit the migration, so customers must do an entire manufacturing facility reset of their Samsung system whether it is already operational.
The previous iPhone must have WhatsApp iOS model 220.127.116.11 or newer and the brand new Samsung telephone has to have WhatsApp Android model 18.104.22.168 or newer. The brand new system must have the Samsung SmartSwitch app model 22.214.171.124 or newer put in. The switch takes place by way of a USB-C to Lightning cable, so that you’ll want a kind of as effectively.
Listed here are the steps to conduct the switch:
The best way to migrate WhatsApp chats from an iPhone to a brand new Samsung system
- Flip in your Samsung and join by cable to your iPhone when prompted
- Observe the Samsung Sensible Swap directions
- When prompted, scan the QR code displayed on the brand new Samsung system utilizing the iPhone’s digital camera
- Faucet Begin in your iPhone, and anticipate the method to finish
- Proceed establishing your new Samsung system
- Whenever you attain the house display screen, open WhatsApp and log in utilizing the identical telephone quantity used in your previous system
- Faucet Import when prompted, and permit the method to finish
- End activating your new system. Your WhatsApp chats ought to now be obtainable.
After you full the migration, your previous iPhone will nonetheless have your information on it until you delete WhatsApp or wipe the system fully. The transferred information doesn’t go to cloud storage after the migration, and WhatsApp says it may possibly’t see the information you switch.